As cheesy as it may sound, I love inspirational travel quotes!
Whether you’re planning a trip, battling post-trip blues, or just aimlessly scrolling through your phone, you can be sure there is a quote about travelling somewhere out there that will hit the spot for you.
There are travel quotes about finding yourself, travel quotes to inspire your next trip, great travel quotes that push you to live your best life and more.
We can all relate to inspiring travel quotes, which is what makes them so fun to read.In this post I’ve put together some of the most famous travel quotes (and my personal favourites).
I hope you will find these awesome travel quotes inspiring and they will make you want tohead out and see some more of the world!
Before you read on, if you’re looking for even more quotes inspiration, check out these posts:
- 60 awesome adventure quotes
- 33 epic quotes about travelling with friends
- 45 quotes to inspire your next solo trip
- 100 quotes for travel Instagram captions!
- 160 epic quotes about waterfalls!
Famous travel quotes
1. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” –Andre Gide
2. “Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all” –Helen Keller
3. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” –Mary Anne Radmacher
4. “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” –Mohammed
5. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” –Mark Twain
6. “Surely, of all the wonders of the world, the horizon is the greatest.”– Freya Stark
7. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” –Anthony Bourdain
8. “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” –Lao Tzu
9. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign” –Robert Louis Stevenson
Short travel quotes
10. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” –Saint Augustine
11. “Life ismeant for good friends and great adventures” –Anonymous
12. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” –Susan Sontag
13. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –I took the one less traveled by”—Robert Frost
14. “Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.” –Dalai Lama
15. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” –Tim Cahill
16. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” –Anita Desai
17. “Don’t listen to what they say. Go see.”
18. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” –Chief Seattle
19. “Collect Moment, Not Things.”
20. “Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.” –Lovelle Drachman
Travel the world quotes
21. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfilment.”—Hilaire Belloc
22.“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” –Robert Louis Stevenson
23.“I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.”―Melody Truong
24. “This wasn’t a strange place; it was a new one.” –Paulo Coelho
25.“If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet” –Rachel Wolchin
26. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” –Michael Palin
27. “Wanderlust: n.a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world”
28. “We travel for romance, we travel for architecture, and we travel to be lost.” –Ray Bradbury
Adventure travel quotes
29. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did.”―Mark Twain
30.“People don’t take trips, trips take people.” –John Steinbeck
31.“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It’s lethal.”–Paulo Coelho
32.“Travel is never a matter of money but of courage.”–Paulo Coelho
33. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” –Marcel Proust
34. “I travel because it makes me realize how much I haven’t seen, how much I’m not going to see, and how much I still need to see.” –Carew Papritz
35.“A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.”–John A. Shedd
36. “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” –Jamie Lyn BeattyThi
37. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction”
Quotes about travelling & coming home
38. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” –Terry Pratchett
39.“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” –Henry Miller
40.“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” –Ibn Battuta
41.“Travel far enough, you meet yourself.”―David Mitchell
42. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.”–Aldous Huxley
43. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” –Lao Tzu
Inspirational travel quotes
44. “Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it?”–Caroline Myss
45.“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” –Anonymous
46. “We live in a world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” ―Jawaharial Nehru
47.“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.”―Jack Kerouac
48.“Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” –Gustave Flaubert
49. “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret” –Oscar Wilde
My personal favourite travel quotes
50. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” –Anonymous
51. “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all – the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.”–Randy Komisar
52. “I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth, then I ask myself the same question.”–Harun Yahya
53. “Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures.”–Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
54. “Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”–Unknown
55. “Not all those who wander are lost.” –J.R.R. Tolkien
Final thoughts on the best quotes about travel
I hope you’ve enjoyed these awesome travel quotes and you’re feeling inspired and full of wanderlust after reading them!
This is just a compilation of my own personal favourite quotes about travel, if you’re still looking for more awesome travel quotes, check out these111 travel quotesand 100+ quotes perfect for Instagramby other awesome content creators.
What are your favourite inspirational travel quotes? Let me know in the comments below!
Need help planning your next trip? Check out these useful resources!
- 20 carry-on essentials for long flights
- The best websites to find cheap deals for your next trips
- 5 easy tricks to travel more when you work 9-5
- The ultimate travel bucket list
Enjoyed reading the best inspirational travel quotes? Pin it!
What is the best inspirational quote of all time? ›
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - ...
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. - ...
- Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. ...
- If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor. -
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”What is an inspirational solo travel quote? ›
“Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.” “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” “There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.”What is motivational for travel? ›
Travel takes us out of our comfort zones and inspires us to see, taste and try new things. It constantly challenges us, not only to adapt to and explore new surroundings, but also to engage with different people, to embrace adventures as they come and to share new and meaningful experiences with friends and loved ones.What is the best word for travel? ›
- “Whoever is happy will make others happy too.” ...
- “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” ...
- “Motivation is what gets you started. ...
- “The best way to predict the future is to create it.” ...
- “Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.” ...
- “We are what we repeatedly do.
"Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well."What is Maya Angelou most famous quote? ›
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”